Tuesday, May 09, 2006

News

Grant W. McLennan of Australia's the Go-Betweens, one of the defining indie bands of the 1980s, died in his sleep on Saturday at his home in Brisbane. He was 48. Anchored by McLennan and his songwriting partner, Robert Forster, the Go-Betweens combined meticulous songcraft with a spare, sometimes experimental approach to recording and instrumentation, earning the group a hardy fan base without considerable commercial success. After a breakup in 1989, the group reunited in the late 1990s, recording with the members of Sleater-Kinney and winning an award from the Australian Recording Industry Association in 2005 for the album Oceans Apart. McLennan was born in 1958, in Rockhampton, Queensland, Australia ...

Former Libertines frontman Carl Barat has declared the band haven't split up, and thinks he will one day be back on stage with Pete Doherty. The pair went their separate ways in 2004 after The Libertines' second album. However, despite a troubled relationship they are still in touch, and Barat thinks their old project is still very much alive. "I like to think I left it on ice," he said in an interview with The Scotsman. "We're obviously busy with other things, but I like it when I see Pete as long as it's not really public. "He's not the kind of guy you can go out for a pint with and say, 'I've got to go in an hour.' You've just got to buckle up your seatbelt and get ready for the ride. "By the very nature of my and Pete's relationship, we could be back on stage before you know it." Carl's new band Dirty Pretty Things released their debut album Waterloo To Anywhere this week ...

Red Hot Chili Peppers say they are "broken-hearted" after their new album was leaked on the internet. Bassist Flea said the leaking of Stadium Arcadium, due out on May 8, had been a "bitter pill to swallow". "If you download it now off one of these file sharing sites you will be getting a pale imitation of the record," he said. "It will be of the poor sound quality of the technique they used to get it on there and that will break my heart, it will break John Frusciante's heart, it will break Anthony Kiedis' heart and it will break the heart of Chad Smith." He added: "Yes, we worked for a year and a half to make the epic record of our lives and it is sad to me for the business reasons of course. "I think we are selling something really cool and we put all we had into it, 28 songs, two hours of the best that we can offer and I think it is a fair deal for everyone. "For people to just steal a poor sound quality version of it for free because some asshole stole it and put it on the internet is sad to me." ...

Killers frontman Brandon Flowers says the band are recording "one of the best albums in the past 20 years". He told NME.com: "We just have to make the best album that we can. And we're doing it. This album is one of the best albums in the past 20 years. "There's nothing that touches this album. And that sounds like I'm being cocky, but I'm just so excited." The Las Vegas group have been recording in their hometown since January with producers Flood and Alan Moulder. The album is due out in September and is set to feature tracks including Bones, Where The White Boys Dance, For Reasons Unknown and My Lists. Flowers has revealed how he feels reborn after discovering the music of Bruce Springsteen. "I fell in love with The Smiths and the Pet Shop Boys when I was 12 years old, and I never thought that could happen again. "And that was kind of sad, but then I had another one of those 12-year-old experiences when I was 23, but this time with Bruce Springsteen. "And it was just - it was elation... He's a gift, and I didn't know. There was something in his music that touched what I was going through, the process of falling back in love with my America." ...


Bonus:
Sigur Ros - Live @ Palis Melbourn 11-04-2006
[CODE]http://tinyurl.com/mddmc
Arctic Monkeys - Whatever People Say I Am, That's What I'm Not
[CODE]http://tinyurl.com/nz2d2
Matisyahu - Live At Stubbs
[CODE]http://tinyurl.com/oe893
Arcade Fire - Funeral
[CODE]http://tinyurl.com/napma

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Arctic Monkeys linkages seem to be dead. :(

8:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i half expected you to have a link to the RHCP album after that blurb about flea. thanks.

7:27 AM  
Blogger Eolrin said...

Fanstasic Web. Thanks for giving us a matchpoint about alternative & Independent Music. I´m from Spain.

11:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home