Friday, January 16, 2009

Mike Bones


A Fool For Everyone, the second record from Mike Bones, provides another ample demonstration of the artist's compositional range and depth as a songwriter. Mike has long been known in New York as an accomplished guitarist and on A Fool For Everyone he continues his journey to the top of the songwriter heap.

The record is best described by its creator who has this to say:

"A Fool For Everyone was made in April 2008 at a place called The Seaside Lounge. A few musicians joined me, old and new friends. Recording took four days. I don't particularly enjoy being in studios, but this time was easy. Decisions presented themselves naturally and we got good takes. Everyone was on top of their game.

All these songs were written after June 2007, except "Everybody's Always Coming Down On Me" which is quite an old song. I wrote one on the beach in Spain, the rest at my desk in New York City. Other songs were written in that time and in those places. Those aren't on A Fool For Everyone. Most songs exist because of beautiful women and existential despair, but that's no surprise.

There are a lot of guitars on A Fool for Everyone, not just mine, but Matt Sweeney's too. Our moves go well together. My last record purposefully had no guitar solos, this one purposefully does. Intention is important when making things, having complete understanding of one's intentions less so.

I heard my father doesn't like the cover this record because it's a naked picture of me. It's OK, I sort of knew he wouldn't. I like the picture and I like the girl who took it. I have my reasons.

All of the above is factual as far as I can tell. Memory is a tricky thing, but you know that. We've probably read the same books. Good night." Recommended!

Mike Bones - What I Have Left
Mike Bones @ MySpace

--

SONG OF THE DAY:

Phosporescent - Reasons To Quit (from To Willie, out on February 3rd on Dead Oceans)


Check Comments for Bonus!

7 Comments:

Blogger Ziggy said...

Pela - Anytown Graffiti !!!
Hudson Bell - Captain Of The old Girls !!!
Idaho - Vieux Carre + To Be The One !!!
Frightened Rabbit - Liver! Lung FR! !!!
Ill Lit - I Need You + Tom Cruise + WACMusic !!!
Lali Puna I Thought I was Over That !!!
+ Asobi Seksu, Pixies, The Notwist, The Whitest Boy Alive,
Snowden, Ms John Soda, The Raveonettes, Okkervil River, etc.
[CODE]http://tinyurl.com/9anakw

Franz Ferdinand - Franz Ferdinand
[CODE]http://tinyurl.com/76dln2

Death Cab For Cutie - Narrow Stairs
[CODE]http://tinyurl.com/9efass

Rock
[CODE]http://tinyurl.com/8xjt88

2:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the Idaho!

7:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Amazing website.... thank you so much...

Anyone have Deerhunter - Microcastle?

Much love.

11:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

think you could find some los campesinos?
i've also been unable to find foxy shazam's first cd anywhere, the flamingo trigger.

2:18 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

cold war kids new one?

11:28 PM  
Blogger Scala said...

Franz Ferdinand - Tonight: Franz Ferdinand

http://rapidshare.com/files/182575892/FF-TFF_2K9_.rar

12:25 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

thanks so much for the franz ferdinand albums!!!

11:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home